WFP Market Monitor – Sudan: July 2022 – Sudan
- The national average retail price of sorghum was SDG 342.5/Kg, an increase of 13.0% from the previous month.
- The national average retail price of wheat flour was SDG 761.8/Kg, which is stable compared to the previous month.
- The national average retail goat price was SDG 24,468/head, an increase of 8.0% from the previous month.
- The average national groundnut retail price was SDG 14,526/bag, down 4.0% from the previous month.
- The national average cost of the WFP local food basket was SDG 500.5, an increase of 8.0% compared to the previous month.
Food Security Outlook
The exchange rate has shown stability over the last three months, in July 2022 the official exchange rate was around SDG 446/USD 1, the average parallel rate was around SDG 566/USD 1 and the average rate of commercial banks was around SDG 568/US$1. The inflation rate showed a decrease in June 2022 (148.88%) from 192.21% in May 2022, while the monthly percentage change in the consumer price index (CPI) was +5 .8% against +6.8% in May. The cost of the WFP Local Food Basket (LFB) increased to SDG 500.5 in July from SDG 457.8 in June 2022.
The average daily wage rate for casual labor increased to SDG 3,291, an increase of 11.9% compared to June 2022, when it was 173% higher compared to the same period of the previous year (July 2021). On the other hand, there has been a long-lasting food insecurity and economic crisis, which is expected to continue until the current summer crop is delivered to the market in October-December 2022. The price of sorghum on the Al-Gadaref auction market increased sharply by 18.0% compared to the previous month (June 2022) and 146.0% compared to the previous year (July 2021). As a result, crop and food prices are expected to maintain their upward trends during the ongoing lean season from June to September 2022.