Senior Technical Advisor – Health Systems Strengthening, Integrated Health Activity in Zambia – Zambia
Pact is an international nonprofit that works in nearly 40 countries to build evidence-based, data-driven, human development solutions owned by the communities we serve. Founded in 1971, Pact works with partners to build resilience, improve accountability, and build knowledge and skills for lasting social impact.
Programs – Pact aspires to a world where everyone is heard, capable and dynamic. The Programs team helps achieve this goal by linking program management, technical support and business development, enabling Pact to achieve its overall strategy. We ensure program excellence through continuous learning, monitoring and evaluation and provide thought leadership across the organization and industry by leveraging a complementary set of skills, of cross-functional and multi-disciplinary expertise and experience. The Programs team: influences incremental change through the development and implementation of global and regional strategies and business plans; supports the advancement of innovative solutions; seeking new business opportunities; and fosters effective internal and external engagement to maximize Pact’s impact across the world. In all aspects of its role, the Programs Department adheres to and promotes a culture of inclusion, accountability and respect.
Pact is looking for an experienced Senior Technical Advisor – Health Systems Strengthening (STA-HSS) for the USAID/Zambia Integrated Health Activity (ZIHA). USAID/Zambia intends to award a $120 million contract to support USAID and PEPFAR goals of 95/95/95. ZIHA will improve the health outcomes of Zambians through equitable access to high-quality, client-centered HIV, TB/HIV, MNCH and FP/RH services, commodities and information, and strengthen the integration of these services at health facility and community level where appropriate. The STA-HSS will provide technical leadership and manage the implementation of HSS interventions at national and sub-national levels in support of the sustainable achievement of ZIHA goals. ZIHA is expected to be a five-year activity. This position is dependent on assignment and is expected to be based in Lusaka.
- Provide technical leadership, guidance and support in building the capacity of the Government of Zambia (GRZ) and community structures to lead and manage local health systems that deliver quality integrated health services to vulnerable populations.
- Provide technical expertise on RSS issues, including but not limited to integration and quality of service delivery; policy formulation and dissemination; human resources for health; supply chain management; monitoring, planning and coordination; and/or the resilience of health systems to public health threats.
- Serve as the main point of contact for GRZ partners, including the Ministry of Health (MOH), for the coordination and provision of technical assistance on HSS.
- Lead the implementation of a site-by-site transition plan to transition project support from direct service delivery to technical assistance in target districts and provinces, based on agreed criteria and milestones.
- Provide targeted capacity building to Provincial and District Health Officers (P/DHOs) to translate national policies into action and implement HSS initiatives that strengthen coordination and effective integration of HIV services , TB, MNCH and FP.
- Contribute to HSS components of project work plans, reports and budget, and participate in project-level processes to ensure integration with other project components.
- Monitor the implementation of HSS activities, ensuring that HSS objectives, targets and deliverables are met on time and within budget.
- Liaise with USAID and key stakeholders, including MOH, civil society, private sector, and other USAID projects, on SSR issues relevant to the project.
- Participate in technical working groups addressing HSS issues related to the project.
- Master’s degree from an accredited university in public health or a relevant field.
- At least 8 years of experience in a senior leadership role in the health sector implementing programs and interventions that support HSS.
- Demonstrated skills in the design and implementation of HSS activities for the provision of HIV, TB, MCNH and/or FP services in large-scale complex international development assistance programs, preferably with programs funded by USAID and PEPFAR.
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of Zambia’s health and public health systems at all levels of government.
- Experience leading technical teams, completing deliverables, and working under USAID contracts preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex environments and to work with and between different stakeholders.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with government and civil society stakeholders.
- Demonstrated problem solving and consensus building skills.
- Strong professional written and oral communication skills in English.
- Ability to travel within Zambia and occasionally overseas, when health and safety concerns regarding COVID-19 abate.
- Clinical qualification (doctor, clinician, nurse, midwife or other cadre).
- Knowledge of the political, social and economic context of Zambia.
- Zambian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, registration, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, smoking (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization or other protected classifications or factors unrelated to deserved.
How to register
Please click here to apply for this position.